Zhurnal Radioelektroniki - Journal of Radio Electronics. eISSN 1684-1719. 2020. No. 5
Full text in Russian (pdf)
WIDE BAND WAVE TRANSITIONS IN THE E-PLANE
V. A. Kaloshin1, K. T. Nguyen2
1 Kotelnikov Institute of Radioengineering and Electronics of Russian Academy of Sciences, Mokhovaya 11-7, Moscow 125009, Russia
2 Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (National Research University), 9 Institutskiy per., Dolgoprudny, Moscow Region, 141701, Russia
The paper is received on May 15, 2020
Abstract. Using numerical simulation based on the finite element method in ANSYS HFSS software, the frequency characteristics of the reflection, transmission, and excitation coefficients of higher modes in the transitions of a rectangular waveguide from a single-mode cross section to a multimode cross-section in the E-plane were studied. Smooth transitions with walls in the form of conjugating surfaces of circular cylinders are considered. The characteristics of the transition are studied depending on the size of the output section and the ratio of the radii of curvature of the curved walls. It is shown that with an increase in the output size of the transition in the E-plane to the input by a factor of 2–3, the operating frequency band can reach 50%, but rapidly decreases with this ratio. We also studied the frequency characteristics of linear transitions with a corrective lens, including a flat-convex dielectric lens with a curved surface in the form of a part of a circular cylinder and a toroidal metal-air lens. It is shown that the operating frequency band of the linear transition for both types of corrective lenses reaches 37% with the ratio of the output size in the E-plane to the input 8:1.
Keywords: rectangular waveguide, linear transition, smooth transition, E-plane, dielectric lens, metal-air lens.
1. G. C. Southworth. Principles and Applications of Waveguide Transmission. D. Van Nostrand Company, 1950.
2. Kogan N.L., Mashkovtsev B.M., Tsibizov K.N. Slozhnyye volnovodnyye sistemy [Complex waveguide systems]. 1963. P. 328-339. (In Russian)
3. Sazonov D.M. Antenny i ustroystva SVCH [Antennas and microwave devices]. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola Publ. 1988. (In Russian)
4. Grinev A.Yu. Chislennyye metody resheniya prikladnykh zadach elektrodinamiki [Numerical methods for solving applied problems of electrodynamics]. Moscow. Radiotekhnika Publ., 2012. (In Russian)
5. Kaloshin V.A. Short-wave electromagnetic asymptotics of open systems. Proc. of 12 Int. Conf. on math. Methods in Electromagnetic Theory. 2008, June. Odesa.
6. Katsenelenbaum B.Z. Teoriya volnovodov s medlenno menyayushchimisya parametrami [The theory of waveguides with slowly varying parameters]. Moscow, Publishing House of the USSR Academy of Sciences. 1961. (In Russian)
Kaloshin V.A., Nguyen K.T. Wide band wave transitions in the E-plane. Zhurnal Radioelektroniki - Journal of Radio Electronics. 2020. No. 5. Available at http://jre.cplire.ru/jre/may20/13/text.pdf. DOI: https://doi.org/10.30898/1684-1719.2020.5.13