Zhurnal Radioelektroniki - Journal of Radio Electronics. eISSN 1684-1719. 2020. No. 5
Full text in Russian (pdf)
On the power-carrying capacity of an autonomous shaper of pulsed electromagnetic field based on a high-power microwave generator
A. A. Volkov
Military Educational-Research Centre of Air Force «Air Force Academy named after professor N.E. Zhukovsky and Y.A. Gagarin», Staryh Bolshevikov 54A, Voronezh, 394064, Russia
The paper is received on May 7, 2020
Abstract. The efficiency of the electromagnetic field shapers in solving a number of applied problems directly depends on the power of the emitted pulses. When using the shaper in stand-alone mode, the energy supply of the power source, as a rule, cannot be replenished and the power of the generated pulses becomes dependent on their number, duration and repetition period. At the same time, the radiated power is always limited by the electrical breakdown of the air in the antenna during the removal of electromagnetic energy into the atmosphere. Breakdown power also depends on the number, duration and pulse repetition period. The aim of the work is to assess the maximum permissible power of the electromagnetic field shapers under conditions of restrictions on the energy supply of the power source and the electric strength of the atmosphere. The basis for solving the problem was the energy balance equation in the «power source – generator» system, the ratio between the electric field strength and power in the surface antenna, as well as the ratio between the breakdown level of the electric field strength and the parameters of the sequence of emitted pulses. The energy balance equation takes into account idle losses during pauses between pulses. As a result of solving the problem, expressions are obtained for estimating the maximum permissible power due to the final energy resource of the power source and the electric strength of the air in the antenna of the generator. The methodology for selecting the parameters of the pulse sequence according to the criterion of the highest radiated power is determined. It is established that with an increase of the duration of the pulses and (or) their number, the maximum permissible power of the shaper decreases, regardless of the limiting factor. For the repetition period, the maximum allowable power may have an optimum. The maximum permissible power of the electromagnetic field shaper based on the vircator was calculated. The coordinates of the optimum point were determined for the repetition period for different values of the pulse duration and their number in the packet. The results can be used to justify the requirements for the radiation parameters of the electromagnetic field shapers based on high-power microwave generators.
Key words: electromagnetic field shaper, microwave generator, radiation parameters.
1. Didenko A.N. SVCh-energetika: Teoriya i praktika [Microwave Energy: Theory and Practice]. Moscow, Nauka Publ. 2003. 446 p. (In Russian)
2. Dobykin V.D., Kupriyanov A.I., Ponomarev V.G. and Shustov L.N. Radioelektronnaya bor'ba. Silovoe porazhenie radioelektronnykh sistem [Radio-electronic fight. Power defeat of radio-electronic systems]. Moscow, Vuzovskaya kniga Publ. 2007. 468 p. (In Russian)
3. Volkov A.A., Trifonov P.A. Taking into account the repetition time and the number of pulses in the evaluation of breakdown field levels in antenna systems of microwave generators. Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Fizika. Matematika – Bulletin of Voronezh State University. Series: Physics. Mathematics. 2014. No. 1. P. 15–21. (In Russian)
4. Fenstermachera Dan L., Frank von Hippelb. An Atmospheric Limit on Nuclear- powered Microwave Weapons. Science & Global Security. 1991. Vol. 2. P. 30–324.
5. Ayzenberg G.Z. Antenny ul'trakorotkikh voln [Antennas of ultra short waves]. Moscow, State Publishing House of Literature on Communications and Radio. 1957. 699 p. (In Russian)
6. Zarin A.S., Kuzovnikov A.A., Shibkov V.M. Svobodno lokalizovannyy SVCh-razryad v vozdukhe [Freely localized microwave discharge in air ]. Moscow, Neft' i gaz Publ. 1996. 204 p. (In Russian)
7. Dubinov A.E., Selemir V.D. Electronic Devices with Virtual Cathodes (Review). Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics. 2002. Vol. 47. No. 6. P. 575–600.
8. Cherepenin V.A. Relativistic multiwave oscillators and their possible applications. Physics-Uspekhi. 2006. Ò. 49. No. 10. P. 1097-1102.
9. Rukhadze A.A., Stolbetsov S.D., Tarakanov V.P. Vircators (review). Soviet Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics. 1992. Vol. 37. No. 3. P. 385–396.
10. Korovin S.D., Pegel I.V., Polevin S.D., Rostov V.V. Vircators. In the book Vakuumnaya SVCH elektronika: Sbornik obzorov [Vacuum Microwave Electronics: A Collection of Reviews]. Nizhny Novgorod, Institute of Applied Physics of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 2002. P. 149–152. (In Russian)
11. Barashenkov V.S., Grachev L.P., Esakov I.I., Kostenko B.F., Khodataev K.V. and Yur'ev M.Z. Breakdown in Air in a Rising Microwave Field. Technical Physics. The Russian Journal of Applied Physics. 2000. Vol. 45. No. 10. P. 1265-1270.
Volkov A.A. On the power-carrying capacity of an autonomous shaper of pulsed electromagnetic field based on a high-power microwave generator. Zhurnal Radioelektroniki - Journal of Radio Electronics. 2020. No. 5. Available at http://jre.cplire.ru/jre/may20/6/text.pdf. DOI https://doi.org/10.30898/1684-1719.2020.5.6